Mayor Daley Speaks Out

STATEMENT OF MAYOR RICHARD M. DALEY REGARDING SENATOR BARACK OBAMA’S RELATIONSHIP WITH BILL AYERS:

There are a lot of reasons that Americans are angry about Washington politics. And one more example is the way Senator Obama’s opponents are playing guilt-by-association, tarring him because he happens to know Bill Ayers.

I also know Bill Ayers. He worked with me in shaping our now nationally-renowned school reform program. He is a nationally-recognized distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois/Chicago and a valued member of the Chicago community.

I don’t condone what he did 40 years ago but I remember that period well. It was a difficult time, but those days are long over. I believe we have too many challenges in Chicago and our country to keep re-fighting 40 year old battles.

12 Responses to Mayor Daley Speaks Out

1. Piper Davenport says:

Yes, let’s focus on this instead of the real deal: What’s going on in Iraq.
    Who cares about that? And also, let’s accuse anyone that speaks out
    against the War of being anti-Semetic, anti-Jewish and anti-Israel.

It’s absurd and ridiculous but so is all of the fat hysteria in this country
    disguised as racism. After all, African-Americans and Latinos have
    bigger bodies, at least according to The Obesity Myth. The suppression
    of information and ignorance of the masses is how blatant fascism threatens
    to overwhelm this country!

As America moves closer to a brown majority, major corporations are
    outsourcing jobs over overseas and only offering a smaller percentage
    of jobs to Americans. We are then forced to not speak our mind, focus
    SOLELY on our looks and not our intelligence and scared to say any-
    thing while the fight for oil runs us into the ground.

I’ve noticed that any comments I’ve made on this blog are picked up
    but not any comments I’ve made elsewhere. I believe the reason
    for this is that my political enemies, including one sick, sad man that
    has in the past bugged my house, tampered with my phone, email
    and car all in an effort to silence my voice. Now, I’m receiving
    death threats. This is the state that ALL Americans will face in a
    few years if we don’t wake up to this fear-mongering.

2. C Horne says:

Daley is right. Bill is one on the great thinkers of our time. His heart is in education to unleash the highest potential of each individual. His soul is in social justice. God bless Bill Ayers!

3. Nickie Stein says:

Wow!

Real letters to the Editor!!!

I guess that tells us that Willy is just a regular guy.

BETTER than a regular guy, in fact!

Of course, for all his blather about social justice, he

1. Has not donated his royalties to groups that serve the poor.

2. Has not gone into the ghetto and actually taught kids to read, or taught their parents to do this.

3. Has not had his students do this.

Not on your life, Karl.

‘Cause working for social justice from your office, or blabbing about it in student papers, is so much more effective.

It makes you feel superior.

Better to be a self-anointed prophet than a fisherman.

The poor need more prophets.

4. Bill says:

Mr. Ayers,

Were there ever any GOP or Republicans who served on boards with you? Or have you many Republican friends or perhaps students or prominent Republicans in your classroom? I’d love to see these people get the same degree of attention because of their knowledge of you that Sen. Obama is getting.

Also I think it’s telling that there are so few comments here. Who would want to take they time to get informed when the main street media can so effectively convey the story? I write that tongue firmly in cheek!

5. d brier says:

Think the big gain from all of this is that we all now know where billy and his psychotic wife wound up. Clearly, billy is a cowering dreamer who spun most of his intriguing exploits much like any aspiring politician would, e.g. bill and hillary. billy’s wife, however, is a genuine psychopath, and his father, whom he could never measure up to, and his neer-do-well brother John enabled the hapless billy and his lunatic mate. The thought of billy and his demented wife on the loose in Chicago’ bowels will now keep our terror-cell hunters zeroed in. May their lives be forever tormented until billy forcibly commits his murderously delusional wife. I’m sure you cowards won’t print this, because billy is still a connected phony but we all know now where they are.1

6. Mic says:

Bill Ayers is a traitor to his country and should have been put to death for his acts against fellow countrymen. I can’t believe in this day and age people are so blind as to “respect” Bill and his ilk. America does not need this kind of poison in our society, be gone Bill, back to Cuba or anywhere else, just leave us in peace.

7. Sam Pierce says:

Unfortunately, Daley’s comments only serve to illustrate that the Democrap Chicago corruption, I mean political machine is untouchable. Daley knows he calls the shots so he can endorse the terrorist and place him on a pedestal.

8. Rob Adcox says:

Wait a minute. Mayor Daley is rationalizing here. “So what if Bill Ayers aided and abetted murderers. The times were tough”, Daley is saying.

People are responsible for their actions. What Ayers did when he was younger was inexcusable. His ongoing lack of repentence defines his character.

Hey, Bill. Hey, Richard. The ends don’t justify the means here. Your garbage might play on the south side, but it sure doesn’t play anywhere else (except Boston, Madison Wisconsin, and of course Berkely.)

I had hoped for something a little better than that from you Daley, a man of your stature. Go back and try again.

9. Gilbert says:

I assume no one cares about the fact Ayers is a criminal and a domestic terrorist.You Dems deserve what you get.

10. Bob McGrail says:

Professor Ayers,

I am also a college professor. However, I grew up in a notoriously tough, working class neighborhood in Boston. My father died when I was 19 as a victim of senseless violence. My mother struggled to send my brothers and sister to no name colleges. We are all pretty successful now.

My read of the comments on this site tell me that there is much disagreement over whether your life over the last few decades constitutes sufficient redemption. However, it appears that most would agree that there was need for redemption. That is, your actions as part of the Weather Underground were deplorable.

Had I, or any one of my siblings, committed these types of crimes, we would have not had your avenue to redemption. We certainly would not have the resources to publish a series of books. I submit that such opportunities were always available to you thanks to your family’s wealth. Where is the social justice in that?

Those who wish to participate in a just society should expect consequences to reckless action. How about you agree to 3 yrs of incarceration? 1.5? Six months? Give us something to show us that Justice, social or otherwise, is more than just a talking point to you.