June 28, 2008
On the death penalty, I’m an abolitionist; on education and health care, a universalist; on economic growth, a minimalist, while on economic policy, a socialist; on military power deployed in the service of occupation and conquest, a pacifist; on the possibility of progressive political change, a pessimist of the head and an optimist of the heart.
I’m just sayin’…
June 28, 2008
( Apologies to m.l.)
One of the most mind-altering and significant events of the last century took place on a makeshift creaking bed in a small cabin in an isolated stretch of a sun-scorched California valley as dawn was breaking many, many years ago. To this day no one has ever revealed to those not present what actually took place.
June 26, 2008
—Besides the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which government permitted the execution of juvenile offenders until last year ( when the highest court in the land rendered a split verdict on the matter) ? (Hint: Recently, China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bengladash, and Nigeria banned the practice).
—Now that Somalia has signed the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, what nation stands alone in refusing to sign?
—Which government stands against 106 other nations in opposing the treaty that developed an International Criminal Court whose mission is to prosecute genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity?
—With over half the nations of the world committed to the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women, which major country has not signed?
—Which nuclear power withdrew from the treaty barring nuclear testing in space? (Hint: The same power recently scuttled a nuclear disarmament agreement, “unsigned” a global warming treaty, and walked away from a world conference on racism).
June 26, 2008
1. One percent of American households control as much wealth as the combined wealth of % of ____ American households.
2. ____ Americans made over $2 million a day from 1997-2000.
3. ____ people in the world can’t read.
4. If you own a refrigerator, have a bed and clothes in a closet you’re richer than ____ % of the world’s people.
5. ____% of the world’s people are non-white.
6. If you’ve never been tortured, been a slave, or seen a relative die in war, you’re luckier than ____% of people in the world.
7. ____ % of humanity owns a computer and has a bank account.
8. Less than 5% of the world’s people own ____% of the world’s wealth.
9. ____ % of the population of the world is Asian.
10. ____ % of the world’s population is non-Christian.
June 18, 2008
Karen Salazar, an LA teacher, was fired for being “too Afro-centric,” notably teaching The Autobiography of Malcolm X. At a time when banning books is back in style in many quarters, and the right to think at all is under steady and screaming attack, Salazar deserves the support of all citizens, teachers, students and parents. Find her students’ protest on You Tube. Speak up for free thinking and open dialog.